09 December 2010

Theme Thursday....{Keep Calm} and....

I think one of the most popular trends for the past few years is the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' posters. Do you know the history behind it?

My curiosity got the better of me {what's new, right?} so I went on the hunt for the origin of this trend that is simple in its message, clean in its aesthetic and playfully engaging.

So here's the low-down....

In 1939, the British Government's Ministry of Information commissioned a series of posters to be distributed throughout the country to offer the public reassurance in the dark days which lay ahead.

At the end of August 1939, three designs went into production. The third design (author unknown), simply read 'Keep Calm and Carry On'. The first two designs were distributed in September 1939 and immediately began to appear, but the 'Keep Calm' posters were held in reserve. Although some may have found their way onto Government office walls, the poster was never officially issued and so remained virtually unseen by the public - unseen, that is, until a copy turned up more than fifty years later in a box of dusty old books bought in auction.

Besides the traditional phrase 'Keep Calm and Carry On' you can find many versions and parodies of it. Here's just a few of my favorites (via flickr Keep Calm pool:: special thanx) ::

















couldn't help myself...so here's two more...



Guess what,Luv-lies?, you can make your own version of Keep Calm, using this blank poster courtesy of "Benni":


Hope that you enjoyed this little piece of calming trivia.  Go. Write your own 'Keep Calm' mantra.
Then.
share your list,  read other lists and, remember....comments are always welcomed!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gah, it's so hard to find your comment button.

"Tuttle on" ?

colleen said...

I have to admit I wasn't familiar with the "Keep Calm..." campaign. I was going to suggest "Keep calm and fix a cup of tea," and there is was already! http://looseleafnotes.com

Mia Celeste said...

I didn't know about this "Keep Calm" movement. Interesting. I like the keep calm and type posters. Thanks for sharing.

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Alice Audrey,

"Tuttle On"...here's the low-down...

Tuttle 101 is a creative social event which all creative people are invited to. It helps people to be inspired and share ideas with others in a relaxed setting

P.S.
Thanx for the feedback re: finding the comment button. I tried to fix it...hope it works




Luv'ed your

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know to stick with it, I'd still be looking for something like "comment" or "2 comments" or "2 peeps said".

Tuttle 101 looks interesting.

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Colleen,

Isn't the 'Keep Calm' mantra fun? You can 'keep calm' and do whatever pleases you...

P.S.

Luv'ed your TT list

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Brenda ND,

I stumbled across this trend while blogstrolling on some interior design blogs...I don't usually follow trends, but I find this one to be therapeautic

it's a keeper :-)

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Alice Audrey,

thanx for your persistance. Hope that the change makes it easier :-)

L D said...

I love the one about making tea!

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Lynn,

Me too! The thought of tea is soooo soothing!